I am continuing work on my seeing-eye dragon for A Somewhat Secret Place exhibit. I decided fabric was just too soft for the spikes so I made them out of Creative Paperclay. I found a perfect shade of gold paint and an iridescent glaze.
I sculpted them over coat-hanger wires that would anchor them in the body. I put little holes in the bottom to stitch them down — I thought that would look neat. I painted and glazed them. But when I attached them, they just looked wrong — like she’s wearing a series of party hats.
It’s funny how what you see in your head is rarely what you can recreate in with your hands. I got the Paperclay back out and used the spikes to create a more integrated looking spine. It’ll take a day or so to dry then I can repaint it.
While I was working I decided to name her Aurora. I think that’s a good dignified name for a dragon who is serving as someone’s vision and is a source of power.
Next I’ll make the wings, paint the spine then add any needed ornamentation demanded by a well presented dragon.
I’ve already cut out her companion, Iris — and found the prism beads for her eyes.